Spiced Apple Chutney
Makes 4 – 6 Jars
- 225g onions, chopped
- 900g apples, a mix of cooking & eating, cored and chopped
- 110g Fairtrade sultanas
- 15g ground coriander
- 15g paprika
- 15g mixed spice
- 340g Fairtrade granulated sugar
- 425ml malt vinegar
- Put all the ingredients into a heavy base sauce pan. Slowly bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer for 1½ – 2 hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
- The chutney is ready when the mixture is thick. Ensure you can draw a spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind that does not immediately fill with liquid.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, seal & cool
Guide to Sterilising Jars
Heat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4. Lay a double layer of newspaper on each oven shelf but not the floor of the oven. Arrange the jars on the shelf making sure the jars are not touching each other. Close the oven door and sterilize the jars for a minimum of 20 minutes. Using thick oven mitts, remove each jar from the oven as needed onto a heat proof mat or heat pad. Make sure you fill the jar whilst the chutney and jar are both still hot.