Christmas Cake (milk and egg free)
by Rahel Berhe
Makes one 7″ round cake
- 350g mixed dried fruits such as raisins, cranberries, blackberries, cherries and apricots)
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g margarine
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water and ½ baking powder
- 150ml water
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
- Choice of dried fruits
- Choice of seeds
- Apricot jam for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 150C/ 300F/ Gas 2.
- Grease an 18cm / 7″ round cake tin. Line the bottom and side with baking parchment.
- Place the dried fruit, water, caster sugar and margarine in a saucepan and heat over a medium flame, continuing to stir until the margarine has dissolved into the liquid. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ground flaxseed, water and baking powder in a small bowl, stir together and leave to thicken.
- Once the fruit has cooked, remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Next place the fruit and liquid into a large mixing bowl, stir in the flaxseed mixture until combined and then quickly stir in the flour and spices until completely mixed through.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin, level the top with the back of a spoon and then bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once the cake is golden brown and cooked through, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes. After which, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, warm up the apricot jam and glaze the cake with a brush.
- Arrange your chosen dried fruit on top of the cake.