Toffee Apple Cake
by Eifion Davies
Makes one 25cm ring cake
- 3 free range eggs
- 200g Fairtrade sugar
- 280ml rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 500g chopped and peeled English apples
For the toffee sauce
- 125g unsalted butter
- 60ml milk
- 225g Fairtrade dark brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/ 350F Gas 4.
- Mix eggs until foamy, then add sugar and blend in the oil and vanilla.
- Combine the flour with the bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour and then stir in the apples.
- Grease a 25cm ring tin
- Add the ingredients mixture into the tin and bake for 1 and ¼ hours on Gas mark 180C / 350F or Gas4.
For the toffee
- Add all the sauce ingredients into a warm pan and stir constantly for about 3 minutes, then drizzle over the cooked cake whilst still warm.