Honey Tea Loaf
by Michelle Lawrence
Makes one loaf in a 1lb loaf tin.
- rapeseed oil, for greasing
- 100g / 3½ oz mixed dried fruit
- 700ml / 2¾ oz decaffeinated tea, cooled until tepid
- 1 heaped tsp ABsolutely honey
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- 150g / 5oz plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas4. Grease a loaf tin with rapeseed oil.
- Place the dried fruit into a large mixing bowl and pour over the warm tea. Stir in the honey.
- Beat the egg and whisk it into the tea mixture using a fork. (Make sure that the tea is not too hot so that the egg doesn’t curdle).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until the mixture is thick, sticky and well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared loaf tin (1lb tin) and place the tin onto a baking tray. Bake the tea loaf in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Set the tea loaf aside to cool in the tin, then cut into thick slices.